This is a Sample Index Format for Project Report useful for students of MBA, MMS, PGDM, BBA, MMM, B. Com, BCA, Engineering (BE) and other courses. This will also help researchers and professionals of management as well as technical departments.
You can use this format for the Summer Internship Project (SIP), Summer or winter training report, General Project report, and other research reports. You can modify this Index format as per your need.
Images of Sample Project Report Index Format
This image includes three important columns – chapter number, Particulars i.e. name of the chapter and page no. To download this image, right click and save image as PNG.
Project Report Index Chapters in Detail
Given below are chapter-wise details of this Sample Project Report Index format.
Add this page before index page. Do not include in your index.
Executive summary generally summarises key points of your project or study.
Then you can add following keypoints to your project’s executive summary.
- Introductory First paragraph: start your executive summary with this paragraph without giving any title to this paragraph. Write about your project title, company name and project duration etc. This should be in paragraph format and precise.
- Background of the Study (Or Problem Statement Or Purpose of the study)
- Key Objectives: Write about key objectives & scope of the study in this paragraph.
- Methods Used: Write about various research methods used to process the data anf interpret it.
- Findings: Write key findings and conclusion related statement here.
- Suggestions (or Recommendations): Add key points about suggestions and learnings
Chapter 1: Introduction
Write introductory information about your research or project work.
- Title of the project
- Background or need of the project
- Key objectives & scope of the project
- Research tool to be used
- Information about topic i.e. theoretical part
Chapter 2: Objectives of the Study
- Write 3 to 5 objectives of the study.
- Start objectives with word “To”. For example, To understand the process of buying.
- Be clear and specific while writing objectives.
- Objectives are nothing but detailed version or explanation of your project title.
Chapter 3: Organization Profile (or Company Profile)
- Company Name, Logo, Address & Location Of Company
- Organization Chart
- Company’s Vision & Mission
- Company’s History
- Product Profile (or Service Profile)
- Awards (or Achievements)
Chapter 4: Theoretical Background
This chapter consists of theoretical and conceptual part of the study.
- Review Of Literature
- Fundamental Concepts
Chapter 5. Research Methodology
- Research Conceptual Clarification: Write about Definition & concept of research methodology in short, Also add steps involved in research methology etc.
- Research Design (Research Type): For example – Descriptive research, Exploratory research etc.
- Statement of Problem (If any)
- Research Hypothesis (If Any)
- Sources of Data Collection: For example – Primary Data, Secondary Data
- Data Collection Instruments: For example – Questionnaire
- Sample Description: Sampling Design, Sample Size, Sampling Method, Sampling Unit etc.
- Outline of analysis: a brief outline of tools and techniques to be used for analysis, statistical tools and tests to be used
Chapter 6. Data Analysis & Interpretation
This chapter includes tabular representation of data Charts, Statistical tests, Analysis and Interpretation.
For each objective there has to be a supportive data collected, from either primary or secondary or in some cases from both the sources.
Analyse responses of primary data and/or secondary data with the help of charts and tables. You can use various tools like SPSS, MS Excel, Google Sheets or any other tool to process and analyse data. Create suitable pie charts, bar charts to represent the data.
Each page will consist following sequence-
- Question (Title/Heading)
Chapter 7. Findings
Write key finding of your project. Use interpretations from data analysis chapter to identify or calculate key findings.
- Must include data with percentage (%)
- Your findings must be aligned with your objectives
- Stick to precise and necessary findings only
Chapter 8. Suggestions (or Recommendations)
This chapter is all about your suggestions or recommendations to the company based on your findings.
- Ensure that you are not suggesting anything which is not studied in the course of project.
- Ensure all the suggestions are (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time bound).
Chapter 9. Contribution of Research Project to the Organization (Optional)
Researcher can write about overall Contribution of Research Project to the company or Organization .
Chapter 10. Learning of the student through the project (Optional)
Researcher can write about overall learnings from the project work. For example, the researcher learned various techniques like SPSS to analyze the data thoroughly. The researcher comes to know the real problems and solutions in the practical world of business.
Chapter 11. Conclusion
Conclude your project in a few paragraphs. Write about your overall experience, key learning, and impact of this work on organization and society.
Conclude the project in simple words and talk of the study in short.
Provide list of books or websites referred for your project. Use Harvard style or APA or MLA style of referencing list.
Also known as Appendix.
- Data Sheets
- Glossary of terms if any
- Any other document
Note: Students are free to re-frame the index and align with guidelines provided by respective university or institution. It’s recommended to pre-consent your project guide before finalising the index.
Outline of the problem or task undertaken
This will help readers to understand the problem or reason behind starting the project or research work.
This mainly focus on the statement of the problem.
Contribution to the host organization
The researcher can write about his or her contribution to the company. For example, the researcher improved the process of increasing leads for XYZ products by suggesting the ABC tool.
We hope this Sample format of the Project Report Index will help you in your SIP (Summer Internship Project) work.
You’ll also like to READ: